Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The plan, or the ingredients if you wish...

I am sure that growing up my parents would never have said "One day my daughter is going to be a foodie." On the contrary, I was very much a chicken nuggets kind of kid; I didn't even really like hamburgers when I got my Happy Meals. I stuck to what I knew; tenders and tacos (since I was born in Arizona). But I suppose just as our lives change so do our palates, they grow and mature along with us.
 
It is not very often you move somewhere and feel completely at peace with yourself. For me that place is Louisville. Yes by many standards I am a "northerner", growing up in Indiana, but my soul is southern. Blame it on my mother if you must fault someone, but I don't see it as a fault in the least. So when I moved to this great city I instantly felt my aura begin to change. To be honest I was almost expecting it, I have had a flirtation with the Ville since I was about 13. What I wasn't expecting was the amazing amount of locally owned restaurants.

Now with all of the chain's and big name places to eat I think there is no better way to get to know somewhere than eating something you can only get in that city. I suppose you could call me a "localvore" a title I will gladly embrace.  It is my goal, task, plan, grand scheme, whatever you wish to call it, to take a giant bite out of this city.  With very few limitations on what I will try at least once I plan on eating at a different local restaurant every week and sharing my thoughts, experiences, and choices with you.

There are a few things I can promise you.  Never on my plate will you see Turkey, I don’t eat it.  And anything with oranges, orange juice, and orange zest can be counted out, I am allergic.  Besides that I am going to try and chose a special if possible, I think it gives you the full view of what the chef is really capable of.  I promise to take pictures of where ever I am and whatever I am eating.  I would love suggestions, comments, or input from anyone.  With that, let me leave you with a quote from a great chef, and let’s grab a plate!

“Life itself is the proper binge.” ~Julia Child

No comments:

Post a Comment