Friday, August 19, 2011

Harvest

There are two things that I can say without a doubt I will always support when given the chance: local and agriculture.  So when a place’s mantra is “a locally grown restaurant” and has its roots with a local farmer serving up omelets at a farmers market I was in.

On East Market between Clay and Hancock Streets, Harvest is located in the growing NULU/ East Market district of the city.  The restaurant itself has a quiet charm about it.  The farmers who support the restaurant and are in turn supported by the restaurant look down upon guests from pictures that adorn the wall along with a map that shows exactly where the food you are eating has come from.  We decided to sit at the bar since my dining partner knew the bartender and I quickly fell in love with the lamps above my head made of Mason jars (I will soon be attempting this). 

When the bartender described to us the special appetizer of the night we knew we were going to get it without even discussing.  Who is going to say no to seared pork belly with grits and a corn salsa?  It was delicious, tender with just the right amount of sear on it.  Even the corn was a bright spot in the meal, and I am not a huge fan of corn.  Our appetizer was paired with a handcrafted cocktail (the menu for this is printed on an envelope, very cool).  For me a Lolita (tasted like tea with a little kick) while my friend sipped an Old Fashioned with a seasonal pear in it.

After that we moved on to our main courses.  Because the appetizer was so good I called a last minute audible on my selection and went with the pork confit, grits, and glazed carrots.  I am going to be honest, I was a little disappointed.  While the grits were excellent (I think they got better between the appetizer and meal) my pork confit was fairly dry.  It had good flavor, but seemed like it had been cooked a little too long.  The glass of Gruner Veltliner from Austria I had did assist me in washing it down and for that I was grateful.  My friend ended up pairing her Merlot with goat cheese and pesto lasagnette. It looked amazing and it turns out it pretty much was.  If you like goat cheese it comes highly recommended. 

Overall it was a great experience, even with the confit let down.  The staff was great, the restaurant has a great atmosphere, and with an ever changing menu based off of what is fresh and local I am sure I will be back. Support local, support farmers, and continue to support Louisville restaurateurs! 


Harvest on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment