Thursday, August 11, 2011

Nord's Bakery

Bakery, not the word that first pops into ones mind when you say restaurant, but why not?  As I said in my first post I am open to suggestions.  And Nord’s was the first suggestion I was thrown.  Well actually it was “start with the bacon doughnut” but I knew exactly what she meant. 

I have had Nord’s a handful of times, one of the ladies at work has brought them in on separate occasions, and when I heard they had bacon doughnuts I was all over it.  It has also been my pleasure to chat with the owners of this bakery.  They are some of the kindest people I have met; they are even trying to recreate my favorite doughnut from back home.  But never had I been to Nord’s bakery itself.

Located off Preston Street just past Eastern parkway in the St. Joseph’s part of town sits Nord’s.  An unassuming black awning on a corner lot marks the place that holds the bacon doughnut (yes I will be saying this multiple times, love it or leave it).

Nord’s is a small place with three glass cases filled with baked goods.  One devoted solely to the doughnuts I was there for, one for adorably designed cookies and one that holds other types of pastries.  With only 4 small tables it is more of a place to grab your dozen, $6.95, and be on your way, but we sat and chatted for a bit surrounded by homey décor.

Of course I was here for the bacon doughnut, but I also wanted to try something I had not had before.  Mike Nord, the owner, picked out my other one and when the owner says try this, you don’t argue.  So I ended up with my glorious bacon doughnut and one that was a cinnamon bun with nuts covered in a maple frosting (I didn’t get the name, very sweet).  The bacon doughnut tastes like pancakes with maple syrup and a side of bacon, only it’s in the shape of a doughnut.  Honestly it doesn’t get much better then that.  I fully recommend trying Nord’s next time you decide you need a dozen doughnuts in the morning.  The doughnuts are great and the people there make you feel like family.


Nord's Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment