Thursday, February 9, 2012

Petra Cafe- Memphis

My mother always warned me that going to the grocery store without a list and on an empty stomach will lead to a higher bill and stuff you really don’t need.  Because of this I recently ended up at Petra Café while out running errands.  I was starving and about to run into the grocery store, list in hand (well actually on my phone, but hey I’m a kid of that generation) and budget on my mind.  When faced with the decision of quick meal on-the-go, there are always a few choices, this case was no different.  In my vicinity were of course the normal giant corporate chains and then there was Petra Café.  If you have read any of my other posts you know I will, hands down, without a doubt choose the non-chain option every time.  Plus, I have been craving a gyro for weeks now.
So into Petra I stepped: small, clean, clothed tables with glass toppers and a friendly hello greeted me as I walked in; all good signs.  I came in after lunch time so there was no wait.  Quickly I walked up and placed my order: Classic Greek Gyro and a fountain Dr. Pepper to go.  I watched as the beef/lamb combo was carved off the vertical spit, topped with red onions, tomatoes, and tzatziki sauce and rolled into my pita bread.  I’m going to be honest with you; I could not wait to bite into this.  The meat was tender, with a perfect amount of flavor and the sauce was just right hints of cucumber not overwhelming but not getting lost somewhere in translation.  The pita itself was soft and the ratio of filling to wrap could not have been better.  To say that I devoured the thing is an understatement, ate it like I hadn’t eaten in weeks is a more accurate description.  With options of pita sandwiches, deli sandwiches, Panini’s, salads and sides I was a bit disappointed I only got the gyro.  I will definitely be back to try something else.  When given the chance between the big name burger joint, and the smaller local restaurant, please please I beg you, go for the smaller place.  I don’t care if their marketing isn’t as good and your kid doesn’t get a toy with their meal, it will in most cases be ten times better.

Petra Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment